Monday, December 1, 2014

Mission of Magic: Rock House Community in the Woods

We went out early while the sunrise faded away. The air was warm and damp and I felt five pounds heavier on my right side with a bag full of rocks in my pocket. Silkworm was free to skip along ahead since our car was the only one in the parking lot and he insisted he couldn't sense any other humans in the park. We vowed to go out this early for hikes here more often.

We found a tree with nice roots to set up the community. One by one, I pulled the rocks out of my pocket and positioned them neatly in the grooves of the roots, hoping it'd be enough to keep them upright.

It would be nice to return to see them still there, but it would be just as nice to return and see some the houses, or all of them, have disappeared, probably to belong in other peoples' gardens. Either way, they'll make wonderful homes for any fairies that can find their way inside when the weather drops below freezing again.











12 comments:

  1. What a good idea!!! I love this : ) How many rocks did you paint? Did you have any help? This seems like a sweet project for a group to do together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I painted the houses this past summer, actually! All six pictured are all that SW and I left, but we did paint and keep a couple others. Wouldn't it be such a cool school project, oh my gosh! Each kid could paint a house and leave it wherever they wanted in the woods on a field trip! AHHH YES.

      Delete
  2. Such a cute idea. I'm in love with your blog. You put so much work into your blog posts and I really appreciate that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I used to do this and I want to do it again! I have been painting rocks to be made into necklaces soon, but now I think I may have to paint some to be little houses and leave them for all the little creatures around the woods! You and Silkworm are just the sweetest and greatest<3
    xx Juli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way, I've been wanting to make painted rock jewelry lately too! I just haven't thought of a way to turn them into pendants without wire wrapping. Anyhow, thank you so much, I hope you get to paint some houses to drop off in the woods! Even teeny tiny pebble houses must serve some purpose to some kind of magical creature, I'm sure.

      Delete
  4. These are so cute! What a sweet idea. :)
    Have a great week!
    Amy xx

    Perfect Imperfections

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wherever those woods are that you were frolicking through are so gorgeous! This reminds me of when my sister and I used to make fairy houses in amongst the ferns in our garden, they got really intricate for a while there with swings and everything! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they though! There are so many beautiful parks and beaches surrounding me, I can't be grateful enough. <3 Ahh that sounds so lovely, I bet fairies from all over the world came to visit your garden!

      Delete
  6. oh my gosh... this is soooo magical and beautiful. it's like reading a wonderful storybook!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that's always what we're going for! ♥

      Delete
  7. These are seriously majestic and adorable. Well done.

    Uncustomary Art.

    ReplyDelete

Silkworm and I love hearing what other people think. In fact, it's probably our favorite thing, so don't be shy to leave us a note or ask a question!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...