Monday, November 3, 2014

DIY Sea of Sequins Envelope

Not too long ago, Silkworm and I made a successful attempt at designing a glitter-coated envelope which we absolutely love despite our mild distaste for all things gaudy. Today we further spited our own dislikes by covering an envelope in sequins--thoroughly.



Perhaps it weighs a whole ounce and they're going to charge you extra postage, but perhaps that is clearly no matter to a proud snail mailer. Perhaps I see you reaching for the sequins and an envelope because perhaps you can't resist making one of these for yourself. Perhaps we'll show you how.

Ingredients
Paper envelope
Sequins
Glue
Mod Podge (optional)
Paintbrush
Plastic surface to work on



Step One: Working on a plastic surface (so the envelope can be easily removed if it gets glued to anything), set your envelope down with the flaps against the table.

Step Two: One by one, glue sequins around the border of your envelope, getting them as close together as you can without overlapping (to prevent them from popping off later).

Step Three: Now fill in the rest of the envelope, again without overlapping sequins. There will be empty spaces between them; you'll fill those in later. Let the envelope dry and then move onto the next step.

Step Four: Glue sequins down in the empty spaces between the others that are already glued down. Let it dry. Afterwards, if you still have spaces that need to be filled in, repeat this step.

Step Five (optional): Coat the sequins in a layer of Mod Podge to secure them once and for all. Let it dry. You should let your final product dry for 24 hours minimum.



Whaddya think? Worth the extra few cents? We certainly think so. I get the feeling the people at the post office are going to laugh at me when I bring it in with a letter inside to mail to somebody. Living in such a small town probably makes Silkworm and I the strangest snail mailers they've met--but we have to keep upping the ante!

18 comments:

  1. Such an awesome idea! I love snail mail as i think its so much more special :)
    http://veryflitting.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Right? Snail mail is such a sweet gesture.

      Delete
  2. GENIUS! I'm so gonna try this. That's gonna be a funny day for the post officers... ;)
    But I do hope that those sequins won't fall off...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us know if you do! ♥ And I was surprised at how stuck-on they were. I mean, the better quality the glue you use, the less chance there is of them falling off, too.

      Delete
  3. These envelopes are the sweetest! I have the ones you made me stuck safely in my diary :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that envelope looks like it can hold some magic inside! nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Doesn't it seem like it could turn ordinary things magical just by putting them inside?

      Delete
  5. Err, WOW! What a fabulous idea for a special card or perhaps an invitation? I can also see this working for Christmas. It's the novelty clutch bag of the stationery world! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I like that--the novelty clutch bag of the stationery world! Could you imagine wedding invitations in these? Now that would be a lot of work.

      Delete
    2. Someone will totally do this! More suitable for a small wedding. You could do all silver or all gold sequins, or create a pattern of a heart in the middle... I do get carried away!

      Delete
    3. No, that would be so pretty! I wonder if we have the same picture in mind right now. A little heart of red sequins, even if it wasn't surrounded by silver/gold sequins, is just WOW. <3

      Delete
  6. What a lovely envelope! I think that anyone would be happy to get one of these in the mail. :)

    catscraftsncritters.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great DIY! xx Great job.

    Sammie
    sammiethestargirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha I love writing letters to people and this sequin envelope is looking super stylish ;) Thanks for the DIY. I'm wishing someone would send me a letter in a sequin envelope. New follower xx

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete

Silkworm and I love hearing what other people think. In fact, it's probably our favorite thing, so don't be shy to leave us a note or ask a question!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...