Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Mission of Magic: Heart Yarn Bomb

We are proud to announce that yet another "long time in the making" crochet project of ours is now displayed in its rightful place on the bridge over the train tracks that Silkworm and I adore so much.



We went out on Lucy with a plastic bag full of the heart, extra yarn, and scissors. It was our first bike ride together during which I had to wear a coat--and gloves, and an ear-warmer headband, and I was still cold. Though Silkworm doesn't feel the cold, he was also appropriately dressed in his new fuzzy brown crocheted sweater. He sat upon the handlebars, much to his dismay. He prefers the comfort of chest pockets on shirts, but I've yet to find a coat with chest pockets.



When we made it to the bridge, we got to work right away. I snipped off strands of yarn to tie the heart to the chain links with. A few cars went over the bridge while we were tying it up. We would have hid like good Enchantemissaries, but there wasn't much if anything to hide behind--and besides, Lucy was with us. Someone also walked past on the sidewalk part of the bridge, which all three of us were hoarding, so we moved as much to the side as we could to let the person pass.

"Are you leaving a message? Oh, it's crocheted!"
"It's a yarn bomb."
"That's so nice [or something kind like that]. Have a nice day."
"You too."



Surprisingly, as prepared as we were hyping ourselves up to be, the train never plowed through underneath us. We managed to hold onto everything and not one bit of yarn nor any pair of scissors nor bear was dropped through the fence to land on the tracks (though I must admit I did come quite close to losing our scissors).



I haven't decided if we should take it down after a while. Is it considered littering if we didn't take it down? What's the formality for yarn bombers? Let us know what you'd do, we're quite curious!

8 comments:

  1. oh my gosh this is so so amazing! i saw some yarn bomb photos around the Internet and I think it's such a great thing to do! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, we've seen so many photos all over Pinterest especially, and Mary at uncustomary.org is a huge inspiration as well. We were so excited to finally do a yarn bomb ourselves!

      Delete
  2. Wow, this looks absolutely wonderful! It would be lovely to see this when you walk/drive past. :)

    catscraftsncritters.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope everyone in town gets to see it. ♥ Thank you!

      Delete
  3. this is so beautiful and sweet, Carly and Silkworm, especially the last picture. what a great idea, this is just so lovely. we don't really do yarn bombing here in tiny town kansas. in fact, i highly doubt most folks know what it is, as i was not too familiar with it before your blog. but i'd still love to do something like this someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a two-hour drive from a place where it's probably a regular thing, but out here I don't think it's quite common at all! Silkworm and I like trying to bring this kind of magic to where we live, though, 'cause a place like this needs it more than that bustling city two hours away that's inherently full of excitement. I hope you get to do a yarn bomb someday, you *must* let us know if you ever do!

      Delete
  4. So adorable, Carly. I love it and where you decided to place it. In terms of when to take it down, it's your call. If I'm honest, someone will probably take it down before you get a chance to, but in case that doesn't occur, I'd take it down either when it starts to get super discolored or raggy or after about three months. Honestly, all street/guerrilla art is *technically* littering, so it's a good call to be conscious about where we leave things. And thanks for the shout out in the above comment. It seems like your readers are new to the idea, so feel free to check out my tag. http://www.uncustomary.org/tag/yarnbombing/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice, Mary! Silkworm and I go on bike rides semi-often and always pass by the bridge where we hung our yarn bomb, so I think we'll just have to keep checking it out every morning. Do you think even in a small town with less than 10,000 people, someone would take it down? We'll find out! (Stay tuned!)

      Delete

Silkworm and I love hearing what other people think. In fact, it's probably our favorite thing, so don't be shy to leave us a note or ask a question!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...