Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Would You Rather: Mary at Uncustomary


This is Mary. Rumor has it she is a human bean most likely composed of more glitter than water. She is also an expert on silliness and eccentricity and has proved it over and over again with stunts like dressing up as a troll and guarding the Baltimore Bridge. This is what we asked her:

Q: Would you rather be immortal but limited to exploring only one country or live as mortal as humans naturally are and free to explore wherever?

A: My immediate response to this question ended up being my final answer (that I would live as a mortal human and be free to explore wherever), but there was definitely a big middle section of my thought process that was interesting to peruse.



At twenty-six years old, I have only been to two countries. I absolutely love to explore and travel, yet it hasn’t really happened on a grand scale yet. There are a long list of countries and cultures that I desperately want to immerse myself in, but even though I haven’t been to any of them yet I still consider myself a very happy and fulfilled person. I actually pride myself on being able to find new and exciting experiences in my hometown every day. So yes, if I was forced to stay local for the rest of my life, I’d be able to find joy. But in this scenario that would mean I was immortal, and maybe after a dozen centuries I’d be bored!



Honestly, when it comes down to it, I have no desire to be immortal. I would love to prolong my life as much as possible, and be able to live healthily well after 100, but I sincerely believe that one of the most beautiful things about life is that we only have a finite amount of time here, so we have to make the most of it. I’d much rather go to a country that I end up not falling in love with than never go at all. I’d much rather regret the things I tried than regret the fact that I didn’t try at all.



This world is full of wonder, and my goal is to see as much of it as possible. There’s no way that I, or anyone, will be able to experience everything. But the fact that we have free will, options, and the ability to prioritize our adventures is quite beautiful in itself.

- Mary

10 comments:

  1. "I sincerely believe that one of the most beautiful things about life is that we only have a finite amount of time here, so we have to make the most of it... I’d much rather regret the things I tried than regret the fact that I didn’t try at all."

    Absolutely YES!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? We're so in love with Mary's mind.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for having me Carly + Silkworm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're always welcome here. *clinks our tea cup with yours*

      Delete
  3. Lovely post, Mary's answer is amazing! :D

    catscraftsncritters.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree with this answer! Also, have you been changing your blog around? I can't see your beautiful icons up the top anymore! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been changing it a lot! I actually wanted to get the comments link to display on posts on the main page, so I had to start over with a pre-made template because I couldn't figure out how to do that on my own. But it means so much that you miss the icons! I shall have to bring them back. ^-^

      Delete
  5. Still absolutely loving this series. Mary seems like an incredible human bean, her answer to this question is so beautifully put, and I completely agree with all she said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how much people's answers keep swaying me to have a different answer to the question myself, or at least a different perspective. I couldn't have gotten anything better from everyone who's been participating. ♥

      Delete

Silkworm and I love hearing what other people think. In fact, it's probably our favorite thing, so don't be shy to leave us a note or ask a question!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...