Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Double Exposure Film Exchange with RaChil

When we found out RaChil at The Cwafty Blog had access to a 35mm film camera, we jumped on a project we've been wanting to do since our heads made a connection out of double exposures and film exchanges. Silkworm and I shot a roll of Fujifilm Superia 400 on a Pentax K1000, and then we handed it over to RaChil to shoot over it to make double exposures.

I think it's kind of marvelous that two photographers shot each of these photos. And I still think it's awesome we've still never met. I feel like I'm holding treasure when I hold one of these photos, like we've connected our lives together just a little bit more than the connections we've made over the Internet.

We shot 24 exposures each all together, but the eight below were my favorites. Some of them couldn't be developed, and one or two didn't double-expose, but we both took it as a learning experience as well. I'd tried to shoot shadowy things so her photos had places to be able to expose, because a photo can't expose on an already overexposed area, but sometimes I wasn't thinking. Then again, I also purposefully tried to frame a few photos that had only some shadowy parts combined with overexposed parts, like with the first three shots of the sunflowers and trees. These are the kind of shots photographers shoot when they want to make those portrait double exposures, where people's heads are filled with trees and flowers and cities.

I'd love to try it again someday. At the moment, I'm trying to save up for a few projects Silkworm and I want to work on, but if anybody has a 35mm film camera and would like to shoot double exposures with us in the future, please contact us! I think we'll be willing to pay postage by November, granted our projects are finished up by then like we hope them to be.













10 comments:

  1. This is amazing! I love double exposures they just tell 2 different yet equally interesting stories!

    Ruby xox
    www.rubydean.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I love combining lives and stories, it's so fascinating to me. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I've always been kind of overwhelmed by the idea of double exposures, but these are beautiful! I might actually try it out. This is such a fun idea, I love that you got to swap film :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These ones came out so subtle compared to most double exposures I've seen. I like it. Thank you! I'd like to try some things with digital photos first to see how I can make film work better. :)

      Delete
  3. This is so cool! I just love the idea of double exposures; it really allows you to see things differently—and perhaps even discover connections between different things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's so flippin' inspiring! You must get your hands on a film camera so we can do this someday too. ♥

      Delete
  4. Oh! I just realized I forgot to comment how cool this project is! Love the idea, more when it is between blog pals :) I've also seen in our lomography shop that you can grab film by total strangers to double expose. I've only tried the technique with my own film, because I'm a total scaredy cat and like to predict the result, I should let myself go sometime ;) Btw, loove your halloweeny banner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for coming back then! ♥ Aaah, it's fun to send off mystery photos to someone else and get mystery photos back. Go for it! And thank you for the compliments on our banner. :)

      Delete

Silkworm and I love hearing what other people think. In fact, it's probably our favorite thing, so don't be shy to leave us a note or ask a question!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...