Saturday, September 13, 2014

Would You Rather: Erin at The Halfway Point

Silkworm and I are launching a new guest post series on Zauberbear called "Would You Rather", wherein we're going to give each guest a Would You Rather question to answer as thoughtfully and meaningfully as they can. The whole idea is to get a deeper look at individuals and find inspiration at the bottom of their souls when they open up to pour out their answers.



This is Erin. She is a fairy-like being living in Australia who thinks a lot and blogs over at The Halfway Point about her life in all its crafty endeavors and life lessons learned. Once upon a time, she made the coolest handmade patchwork dress and now she's working on new goals to feed her mind, body, and soul. This is what we asked her:

Q: Would you rather live a casual life and die at 100 or live with a superpower and die at 35?

A: As soon as I read this question I knew what my answer was going to be, although if you’d asked me about a year back I probably would have chosen the other option. I’m going to say that I’d much rather live a casual life and die at 100 than live only 35 years with a super power.

Don’t get me wrong super powers are great. I mean flying and invisibility and whatever other super powers this world has thought up? Yes please! But there is so much more to life than what having super powers would be able to achieve. Even the best superpower isn’t going to make you more likely to find the beauty in the everyday, in fact I think it would most likely make it harder, and that’s what I believe to be one of the most important aspects of life: an ability to find beauty in the places you’ve been told there isn’t any.

As human beings we have a habit of playing down the amazing. Just stop and look around you for a few seconds. If you’re somewhere you’ve seen hundreds of times it’s probably difficult to find something truly awe inspiring in front of you, but keep looking. Now if you’re inside, look up, somewhere above you there’s most likely a light bulb. Do you look at it often? Do you absolutely lose your mind whenever you switch it on and it creates light? Probably not. But I’ll tell you what; if you were to go back a few thousand years and show that light bulb to people like the ancient Greeks they would go crazy, and I can almost guarantee it would be one of the most amazing things they had ever seen, and the ability to create glass as fine as that which encases the light bulb’s filaments? Well that would just be mind blowing. It’s things like this that prove to me how good we’ve all become at ignoring the extraordinary simply because we’re so used to it, and I’m trying a lot harder recently to stop doing this.



So what does that have to do with super powers? Everything. I think that after years of being able to fly etc. flight would lose its novelty just like everything else, and simply become a part of the every day routine that you take for granted. Our ability to walk upright on two legs doesn’t amaze us much anymore, but go back in time and it was revolutionary. People stop finding wonder in almost anything once they’ve become accustomed to it over a certain amount of time, and I doubt super powers would be any different.

But why live 100 years as we do now?

Just think about it. Think about all the things you’ve learned and experienced in your time on earth. That’s a lot of things isn’t it? Now think of all the things you’re still yet to experience or learn. That’s even more things. There’s some things that only the passing of time can truly teach you, and I’d like to make my time pass for as long as I can. If I lived only to be 35 my life would already be more than halfway over, and I know for sure that I still have a lot more learning to do that can’t possibly be crammed into the 16 years that I would have left to live, and those lessons could give me more than a super power ever could. I’d want to dedicate my 100 trips round the sun to learning and to teaching, to finding beauty and reminding myself of the wonders of a light bulb. Because when you have the ability to view life as the beautiful and magical thing that it is, simply living becomes a super power in itself.

- Erin

13 comments:

  1. That's beautiful. Learning and growing is the best. What a great idea for a series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know, Erin is so in touch with her inner and outer beings, it's crazy. ♥

      Delete
  2. Wow, this is such an inspiring post. :)

    catscraftsncritters.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. "who thinks a lot" yep, that's me! Haha thanks for letting me on your blog Carly! You're the best xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, thank *you* for writing such a thoughtful reply! Seriously, I'm in love with your brain.

      Delete
  4. This made me so happy! What an awesome blog idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I loved it more than I thought I would. I think that's mostly because Erin was our first guest. :)

      Delete
  5. A brilliant idea for a new series, and an equally brilliant first response. As awesome as superpowers are, humans don't need them to live happy, exciting, fulfilling, amazing lives. After all, appreciating and finding the magic in life seems like a superpower in and of itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, she even changed my mind! My immediate response would have been to live with a superpower, but Erin's outlook made so much sense. It's so true, life is so magical ordinarily; we just have to look around more. :)

      Delete
  6. so great! your ideas have no boarders and is boundless! love this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this new idea for your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Silkworm and I love hearing what other people think. In fact, it's probably our favorite thing, so don't be shy to leave us a note or ask a question!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...