Saturday, September 6, 2014

Sunrise and Sunset Bracelets

There are endless ways to creatively document your life: journals, scavenger hunts, photo collections--but let's get more unusual. What about friendship bracelets?



Silkworm and I have turned some of our favorite sunsets and sunrises into jewelry with this idea. We're going to be selling them at our Etsy shop someday--but we also wanted to teach you how to make your own out of your photos!

Ingredients
Embroidery thread
Method of holding friendship bracelet down (bull nose clip, tape...)
Small metal stamping blank (with hole) or tiny locket charm
Letter and number metal stamps (if using a stamping blank)
Paper and pen (if using a locket charm)


Step One: Pick your favorite photo of a sunrise or sunset. Figure out when it was taken (the date and time), and if you can remember where, plug it into this coordinate generator. Keep the photo and its information readily accessible and move on to the next step.



Step Two: Take your metal stamping blank and, on one side, stamp the coordinates of your sunset or sunrise (i.e. 23 N, 67 S; no degrees symbol unless you have a metal stamp for it, and you can use the "i" stamp sideways for a negative symbol; if you have a period, you can use decimals for a more exact location), and on the other side, stamp the date and time (write the date like an expiration date with no punctuation; leave a space between the hours and minutes of the time, unless you have a colon stamp). If your stamping blank is too thin to use both sides, use two stamping blanks. If your stamping blank doesn't have a hole to thread it onto your bracelet, use a hammer and nail to punch a hole where you want one.

If you don't have metal stamps, you can use a tiny locket charm with a piece of paper with the information on it inside. Silkworm and I actually wanted to opt for this method because we wanted to include a photo of the actual sunset we used, but we couldn't get to the craft store to get lockets.

Step Three: Make the friendship bracelet based off of the colorful sky. You can use any pattern, but ones that make a gradient work best (chevron, candy stripe, diamond, zigzag). If it helps, for finding the right colors for your project, take the photo to the craft store to pick out specific colors of thread instead of trying to find a not-so-matchy match in a bulk package of threads.

Step Four: Use a jump ring or wire to attach your metal stamp(s) or locket. Jump rings may not fit through homemade holes in stamping blanks, but thinner wire will, and you can just make a homemade jump ring out of that. We threaded our wire through the strings right before the last knot closing our bracelet, but you can put them anywhere you'd like.



I think this is my new favorite way of documenting life. It's a wonderful feeling to wear on your wrist the sunset from the day you met somebody, or accomplished a life goal. Let us know if you make any sunset or sunrise bracelets, or even other kinds of life-documentation jewelry, because we'd love to see what your creative mind comes up with. And keep an eye on our Etsy shop if you're up for purchasing a bracelet we made!

21 comments:

  1. Such a sweet bracelet! Lovely idea. :)

    catscraftsncritters.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this- I think I'm in the mood to make a friendship bracelet soon! I used to love them so when I was young. I love the touch of adding a tag to help you remember something special. I've thought for a while I'd like to get a bracelet for my hubby with the coordinates of the place we met stamped on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be such a cute bracelet! For that, you could even do a simple macrame bracelet with a little tag in the middle, kinda like those popular dream catcher bracelets. But it would be so cool to make a friendship bracelet of maybe both of your favorite colors, or some other meaningful colors.

      Delete
  3. Seriously let me know when you put these on the Etsy shop, I was going to buy a key when I got paid but I'll wait until you put one of these up. I love it so much!
    Do you think maybe I could get you to make me one with my coordinates and stuff? I'd love to have one for a really special photograph and moment in my life. But either way I love it so much, and I'd never be able to make one this pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, awesome, I will definitely let you know! I just have to get more metal stamping blanks or lockets and then I'll be all set. And I was thinking about doing custom orders, so I would *love* to do a special bracelet for you--I'll get in touch!

      Delete
  4. This is too cute! The colours of your bracelet work so perfectly together too, it's like a sunset itself! (I'm assuming that was your intention) I think it would be really cool to be able to use it like a charm bracelet and keep adding tags on, maybe the co-ordinates of important places you've been to, endless options I tell you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that would be a cute idea for a bracelet, too! I meant for this one to represent one sunrise or sunset, and the tags would be the date/time/location of that one sunrise or sunset, but a charm bracelet of a bunch of meaningful dates and stuff would be so sweet! I like the way you think! ♥

      Delete
  5. Such a great idea! The bracelet looks lovely x

    cultkid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh goodness, I love this so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is seriously so cool-i'd buy it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Custom orders are now listed on Etsy! ;)

      Delete
  8. Wow, this is such a creative idea. And the bracelets are so beautiful :D. I think the fact that the bracelets are used to document life memories make it very unique and of sentimental value.

    Great post! Oh, and thanks for visiting my blog ^^. Your blog is very beautiful by the way!

    thestarryeyeddreamer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, you're so sweet! ♥ You have a lovely blog yourself!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for your comment on my blog! This is such a great idea- and wonderfully executed! I would love if there were a way to actually print the picture onto the bracelet... <3

    Would you like to follow each other? Let me know! Cloudy Dreams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't know about printing a picture onto a bracelet, but one could definitely use a loom to make a somewhat abstract design after a photo, I think!

      Delete
  10. This is such a clever way to document special moments. Fantastic, fantastic idea, and so beautifully executed (as usual)! These bracelets ought to be a trend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Katerina! Silkworm and I sure hope so; it would be so much fun to turn peoples' favorite sunrises and sunsets into bracelets!

      Delete

Silkworm and I love hearing what other people think. In fact, it's probably our favorite thing, so don't be shy to leave us a note or ask a question!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...