Thursday, August 14, 2014

Our City Brochure, Inspired by Busy Weekends

When Michelle at Busy Weekends came up with a genius idea to put together a travel guide highlighting the best and/or most secret parts of the city you live in, Silkworm and I had been right in the middle of finally discovering the hidden awesomeness in our town while on our daily morning bike rides--so we decided to take Michelle's challenge and write a brochure about the city we so proudly call home, now.



Once upon a time, I used to have a silly assumption that this place was just a boring small town in the middle of nowhere, but that was when Silkworm and I spent the days inside our house, tucked safely inside our comfort zone. Little did we know how much there was to discover! When we finally started getting out of the house regularly, courtesy of Lucy the yarn-bombed bike (purchased with a wad of hard-earned money and a desire for a comfortable ride for my strangely sensitive butt), we started finding something new and interesting every time we went out.

It started with realizing how adorable the teeny tiny town of shops is, complete with a lake and an osprey nest across the water. Then we began to realize how much water we are surrounded by, and how lovely an early morning chill we have because of it. Soon enough, we discovered a colony of bunnies and deer on a particular street, which we now bike down every evening to visit the wildlife. There's also a bridge over the train tracks that we've been trying to stand on while a train rumbles past underneath, but we haven't gotten our timing right so far. And it appears we're under a protective bubble from bad weather because whenever the rest of our area gets nasty thunderstorms and such, we stay mostly dry and peaceful.



While we could easily write a list of negatives and disadvantages of living where we live, too, we've chosen not to focus on those things because we are too grateful to have the things we are lucky enough to have. However, for the sake of letting everyone know no town is perfect, we'll also let you know: the closest department and grocery stores are a fifteen minute drive away; there are not many sidewalks yet many busy streets with small shoulders, so it's tough to get around on a bike; there's not a lot of socializing opportunities for miles.

But none of that matters, because we love counting the bunnies on our bike rides at sunset and racing to get to the bridge over the train tracks when we hear the train whistle and hearing ospreys out my bedroom window at all times of the day.

Fall in love with what you have. Passion goes to waste when one spends it on wishing for something else.

Silkworm and I are going to leave a few of these lying around town and maybe even ask a few shop owners if they'd like to give away some free copies. We didn't credit ourselves anywhere in the brochures, but we are going to leave a hashtag on the back of them for anyone to use on Instagram, if they want to share a photo of their findings. At least we might get to see people discovering them!

11 comments:

  1. Such a great idea! I've always wanted to live in a small town, but I'm still in a fairly big city for now. :)

    catscraftsncritters.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's swap! Haha, I mean, not immediately--I'll take my small town for a while longer--but I've always wanted to live in a bit of a city suburb someday. I wanna try everything someday. In a city suburb, in a small town, in the middle of nowhere, off the grid, in an apartment. I don't want to miss a thing. ♥

      Delete
  2. i love the wildlife friends you have there :) and you made such a great brochure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an amazing idea ! I think that I'll do it and then, send it to my penpal ! ♥
    Your city brochure is lovely, congratulations ! :) ♥

    Have a nice day! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely would that be for a pen pal! That sounds like a wonderful idea. And thank you so much!

      Delete
  4. This makes me super happy! I love your booklet. I am also very excited that you plan to leave some around for people to find :) Expect something in the mail about this soon!

    Also, in reference to your above reply to Amy: That is what I love about traveling. Many people travel to see recommended sights, but I go to "live in another place," as it were. I try to take extended vacations wherever possible, and I prefer to stay right in the middle of everything. Then, instead of seeing all the "things you should see," I just... live there. Sometimes I camp. Generally, though, it's very casual. I have used couchsurfing.org to hook up with a local person to sleep at a place other than a hotel, and so I've seen the inside of many different kinds of homes without having to dedicate my life to living there/finding a job/settling/etc. :) Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope YOU got what I sent you in the mail about this! :) Thank you, and I did leave a few around yesterday! Unfortunately, they got all soggy overnight (I thought it was done raining!) but I'll make another run sometime.

      Yessss, that is my favorite kind of traveling. It should be the only kind of traveling. How can you possibly taste another place if you don't get enough time to swallow it? And a bunch of people have referred me to couchsurfing.org before, I think I may have to look into it further! Lately I've even been considering WWOOFing or something like it. I feel like this is the time for stuff like that, because I'm literally as free as a helium balloon right now. I worry I'm going to pop before I get to see the stratosphere!

      Delete
  5. This is so much better and more adorable than I could ever have imagined! (Or had the ability to do myself) It makes me wonder what secret places I've been overlooking in my own suburb :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Seriously, I think everyone should make one of these. Everyone should do a little exploring in their town and find out how not-so-boring-at-all it truly is. My exploratory morning bike rides are the best decision I ever made, I'll tell you that!

      Delete
  6. This is so wonderful. I love the idea of falling in love with what you have. You are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever you comment on something I wrote, I feel like it's been blessed by the glitter goddess and it makes me feel all butterfly-ish. ♥

      Delete

Silkworm and I love hearing what other people think. In fact, it's probably our favorite thing, so don't be shy to leave us a note or ask a question!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...