Friday, May 23, 2014

Life Motto Bunting

Yesterday morning, on a whim, Silkworm and I decided to cut out, from paper, all 74 letters in our life motto. I'm sure we've brought it up before. It's a popular quote by Charles Bukowski that goes:


"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."
We've never stumbled across a bunch of words that did anything close to what those words do to our insides. I think it pops into my head at least once a day; I'd even venture to say twice, or even thrice on certain days. I would love for Death to be so afraid at the thought of whisking me away from Earth. That's the ending we strive to live our lives for.

Anyway, we strung up a piece of twine zig-zagging from wall to wall in the corner of my room next to my closet, where the bare paneling had been begging for decoration, and then we glued on those 74 paper letters in order. Instantly, we fell in love with the shadows that were cast onto the wall. Those were unexpected and only added to our adoration of our new garland. Now, every morning when we wake up, we'll be greeted by our motto so it'll be floating fresh in our heads for the rest of the day.



Please oh please, I beg you to feel obligated to share your life motto in the comments, if you do have one! And if you're fond of ours, adopt it for yourself. The butterflies that fluttered in your stomach when you first read it will thank you every time it washes up in your head again.

Suggestion: If you're not a fan of mottoes, perhaps a daily reminder would be a better idea, something like "go on an adventure" or "go outside" or "your insides are pretty".

7 comments:

  1. !!!!!!! CARLY! THIS IS BEAUTIFUL.

    As far as my life motto, I have two. One is a quote by Roald Dahl: "A little magic can take you a long way", and the other is my take on a Hunter S. Thompson quote "It never got weird enough for me"... because I want to make sure that it DOES get weird enough for me. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh thank you so much! Oh, those quotes are lovely ones to live by for certain. I especially like Thompson's, 'cause weird is definitely what I live for.

      Delete
  2. How are we oh so similar! I have my motto cut out and strung up on my wall too! It's "If you cannot be a poet, be the poem" To remind myself that while I'm busy finding beauty in others lives it's important to also remember that there's beauty and importance in my own too :) I also have another one stuck above my bed too, "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."

    Ahh I could go on for days about quotes! Yours is so gorgeous! I love the way it looks strung up like that :)

    x Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I never quite realized how much I loved hearing people's life mottoes. <3 Gosh, both of yours are so inspiring. I know, I love quotes thrice as much as I love books! I like how much one phrase can say and how different everyone can interpret it.

      Delete
  3. I just rearranged my office and I have a space that would be perfect for my motto, also from Hunter S. Thompson "Too weird to live, too rare to die." I want to be so much my own completely unique, original person that I am almost a resource that the world can't afford to lose. Its a goal, if not something I can say I 100% live up to right now.
    I also made an inspirational print the other day with the quote "Leave a trail of glitter wherever you go" because I feel that its important to spread creativity and happiness, and I believe you can really improve someones day just by having a good interaction with them, no matter how short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the most beautiful goals I've ever heard of, complimented with an equally inspiring quote. You're definitely doing well!

      I completely agree! There's not enough creativity and happiness evenly distributed throughout the world, so if you've got some, you might as well spread it around!

      Delete
  4. That quote is really affecting! And it looks gorgeous strung up!

    ReplyDelete

Silkworm and I love hearing what other people think. In fact, it's probably our favorite thing, so don't be shy to leave us a note or ask a question!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...