Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Document a Day with a Dispoable Camera

This is what a particularly slow day at work looks like.


































(Note: The camera had 27 exposures, but 3 could not be developed, and I left out a couple for privacy.)

I think people feel more obligated to document exciting days than boring ones, but then you miss out on the magical charm of the ordinary. When you've got a camera in your hands with limited exposures to shoot and a quest to turn those exposures into meaningful and relevant exemplary snippets of your entire day, you start to look for and recognize what's so special about a typical day in the life of yourself. You'll find yourself snapping a photo of the sky at the precise moment you had some kind of epiphany, just so you can remember what it looked like in that moment. Plus--though I don't think it needs to be said; it's said quite enough and you can see it for yourself--there's something a film photo does to your heart. I've tried and tried to explain it, but I don't think words can do justice for the feeling. Film makes a memory look like it's from a long long time ago, and you were only a character in it's simple little story.

Perhaps a further challenge might inspire you. Don't develop the film for yourself. Decorate the camera and leave it somewhere for a stranger to stumble upon. Humans can't resist peeking into other humans lives. If you want a copy of the film for yourself, use duct tape to secure two cameras side by side and just press both shutters simultaneously (one with your left hand, one with your right) whenever you take a picture. Personally, I (and Silkworm) have an idea with this technique in mind, but we'll tell you all about that later once our plans have been properly executed.

In the mean time, try this for yourself. Document a day with a disposable camera--and keep us in mind when you get those photos developed; naturally, we wanna see. We're nosey; you understand?

7 comments:

  1. I love the watering the flowers shot and I like the idea of leaving the camera for someone else to develop, I'd love to find a camera with hidden photos on it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know, wouldn't it be magical? I hope it happens to Silkworm and I someday. ^-^

      Delete
  2. Bunnies and Chickens and Llamas(Alpacas?) oh my! Your job looks wonderful! ^_^ I would love to be able to work with animals.
    I especially like the shadowy red shots of the chicks, it makes them look otherworldly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS wonderful; I'm so grateful to be able to say it's my first job! I've always dreamed of working at some kind of farm with animals and plants and such. And thank you so much! I didn't intend for the shots to come out like that, but I like how they turned out nonetheless. Now that you mention it, they do look pretty otherworldly!

      Delete
  3. The llama on the ground is my favorite (6th picture). Does he(she) have a name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could say they had names, but they don't yet! We keep saying we should name them, though. I should bring some ideas into work on Sunday. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, I want to come and visit! All those beautiful flowers and animals! Your pictures fully capture the "magical charm of the ordinary" indeed. This is such a wonderful idea, and I completely agree with you that "ordinary" days ought to be documented alongside "extraordinary" ones. As you've proven, with the right mindset one can make any day extraordinary!

    ReplyDelete

Silkworm and I love hearing what other people think. In fact, it's probably our favorite thing, so don't be shy to leave us a note or ask a question!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...