Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Raising Sensitive Plants: Take 2, Day 5

Silkworm and I accidentally neglected our first batch of sensitive plants, letting the soil dry up too often, and before starting over with a new promise to ourselves to tend to our seeds more vigilantly this time, we also did some research on how to grow them best.



On day 1, we soaked the seeds in warm water overnight, and then we planted them the next afternoon. Then, as we did the first time, we buried one seed 1/8 inch deep in each of 15 planting pots filled with organic soil, covered them and patted the soil down very gently, and then we watered them with a spray bottle for the next couple days and graduated to using the black tray they're in, specifically designed to pour water into so the soil can soak it up whenever it needs more. They're also sitting under a grow light, now, too.

Hopefully, we'll be seeing little green sprouts in the next week or so, since the germination of sensitive plants takes about 8-15 days, or so it says on the back of the seed package. Fingers crossed and green thumbs up!

4 comments:

  1. Here's hoping round two is better! There's been pretty much no sun here recently so I hope my plants on my windowsill don't get too sad! Also, have you gotten my email??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh, I hope your plants can live on what little sunlight they can get! And I think I replied to your email probably a half hour ago--sorry for the long wait!

      Delete
  2. I wanted to reply to your earlier post too (but then forgot): I'm doing this too! For my last birthday I got the seeds for this plant from a dear friend. She knows how much I love these plants. They used to grow in our garden when I lived in Gabon between the grass. But I haven't planted them yet because I am so scared to mess them up and was waiting for the perfect conditions! I always let plants die. Perhaps I should take the leap ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how cool! I was waiting for the perfect conditions, too, but it did say on the back of the package that they can be planted at anytime of the year indoors, so I figured "why not?" And the grow light helps, too. Good luck with your plants!

      Delete

Silkworm and I love hearing what other people think. In fact, it's probably our favorite thing, so don't be shy to leave us a note or ask a question!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...