Monday, December 23, 2013

Sequin Disco Ball

A little bit ago, Silkworm and I took a trip to the craft store to pick up some very important supplies for a very important project.




It's a homemade disco ball--and it really works! I'd seen DIY disco ball tutorials on Pinterest using cut-up CDs or shards of mirror glass, but I wanted something colorful, cheap, and easy to make. That's when I remembered a blue sequin shirt I used to have (come to think of it, where did it ever go?) and how one day, sitting down on the school bus to go home, I was suddenly mortified by the sparkles reflecting off of my shirt from the sequins speckling the whole front of the bus blue. So I bought some sequins!

Ingredients
Small Styrofoam ball
A lot of sequins
A lot of pin heads (or glue)
Seed beads (optional)



Step One: Stick your sequins onto your Styrofoam ball one at a time by poking a pin through each center hole, or simply gluing them. If you do choose to glue them, try not to get any glue whatsoever on the sides of the sequins that will be showing, because they may not sparkle and shin right when the glue dries. The pins, on the other hand, are meant to be used with a single seed bead each, but if you put them in diagonally, they should stick without beads (though you may use beads if you'd prefer). Overlap the sequins enough so you can't see any of the Styrofoam underneath.

Step Two: Wait, you're already done.

Da-da-da-daaaa! That's one snazzy lamp thingamajig you've got there! We've found it works best with a giant flashlight, and when the light hits it, BAM--your wall (or your face) is covered in rainbow confetti sequin reflections.



Tips
- Shaped sequins (stars, hearts, squares) should reflect light just the same as classic circle sequins, and if they don't have holes to put your pins through, just stick the pin through anywhere; it should be strong enough to poke through.
- The Styrofoam will shed pieces of itself all over, so do this in a place that can be swept or vacuumed.
- The packaging of our sequins and pin heads may have lied to us. I'm not sure, because I lost the packaging of the sequins so I can't double check, but I remember the package of sequins saying it was a pack of 450, and the pins said 300. As it turns out, we needed to buy two more packages of pins to complete the disco ball, and we only used 2/3 of the pack of sequins. I guess what I'm saying is just beware and prepare (that's a rhyme) for the crafty (and that's a pun) lies your supplies (and that's another rhyme) will tell.

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful, and I love it. I used to make little mini ones as tree ornaments, but it never occurred to me to make a giant one! Now I've gotta!

    ReplyDelete

Silkworm and I love hearing what other people think. In fact, it's probably our favorite thing, so don't be shy to leave us a note or ask a question!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...